Several weeks ago we made the decision to have our sweet girl's surgery at Seattle Children's Hospital. What is still unknown is exactly what procedure will be done and when. We had another echo cardiogram done a couple of weeks ago so the Seattle team could make their decision based on the latest data. Bottom line, the echo shows us that Noelle's heart is getting slowly but progressively worse as she grows (nothing new here) and down the road she most likely will need a valve replacement (this was a new and rather scary discussion). It has been nearly a year since the MRI that confirmed the need for another surgery and I am growing weary of the wait and all the unknowns. I just want to get it done and over with so Noelle can just be a normal kid and we can make normal summer plans.
On a side note, after watching her cousin at gymnastics practice a few weeks ago, Noelle has been begging to start gymnastics next year. We have seen more jumping and twirling and cartwheel attempts than ever around our house. The tough thing is that I can't guarantee her that she can do gymnastics until we know the results of her surgery. Her cardiologist has never restricted any of her activities up to this point but on our last visit when I asked him about gymnastics he didn't exactly say no but he didn't say yes either. It may seem like a minor thing but it made me feel sad that there was a possibility of things she will not be allowed to do in the future. As a parent I don't think anyone wants to limit their child's dreams in any way. We want to tell our kids, hey, the sky is the limit, go for it! I hope we can continue to say that to our special girl!