Monday, February 25, 2008

City Slickers to Country Kids

Yesterday we went out to the farm to start the "desensitization" process. You see you can't transition city slickers too quickly out to the country or they will experience extreme culture shock. You must be particularly careful with the suburban mommy types who can't seem to stop warning their children of every possible danger, "Don't run with that stick, you'll poke your eye out!", "That's not mud it's poop!", "Yucky, don't pick that up and DO NOT put it in your mouth!". Someone please tell that woman to chill out.

Typically the children adjust more quickly than the adults. Unless there is horse poop involved and then there might be an issue. Somehow my son managed to find every pile of horse poop in that 10 acre field and fall in it. He would then look up at me and plaintively say, "Mommy, poopie, poooooopie! Poopie my hands!". Not having any hand sanitizer my only advice was to tell him to wipe his hands on his pants. Then he looked at me like I was crazy.

My daughter was not at all bothered by the mud, brush and excrement. She was Dora the Explorer! She was our intrepid guide through the dangers of a new land!
I love the next two pictures. My children were real pals out there. They seemed to instantly bond and they didn't fuss or fight with each other even once. It must be the miraculous country air right?

Ahhhhhhh! He's all tuckered out.


Jen

4 comments:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

And a good time was had by all!!

Anonymous said...

I don't care what the pundits (AMBER) say about that husband of yours. He seems like a really nice guy and would take him in anytime.

:)

Becky Avella said...

Oh, Amber, Recycling Man is worse in real life!

Just kidding, RM, actually, in real life people end up loving you for some reason. : ) I vote for a guest blog post from the new farmer.

I'm so excited about the farm. Can't wait to visit it myself, hint hint.

Love,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Ah - what fun!!! Looks like they had a great time! Country air can't be beat! Hope you had a great weekend! Sarah P.s. How goes your "American Idol" watching? :0)